Thursday 12 April 2012

Music & Creativity

QUESTION OF THE DAY : What Happens When You Mix Creativity with Music?? 

The answer to this question can be found by looking at four of our individual drawings below.

For this activity, the materials needed are : Mahjong Paper/Butter Paper & assorted colors of fat-tipped markers.   

This activity was conducted whilst listening to a range of classical music but, you can always do it with other genres such as 

Blues, Jazz, Rock or etc...

Whatever emotions we felt while listening to the scores were portrayed in the form of various drawings, just like how a dancer feels and flows with the music as passionately as we did with our drawings.

 

 SENTIMENTAL VS. WAR (by Nessa)

The theme of this drawing is based mostly upon war,loss & victory. (Description from bottom left, anti-clockwise)
  • The snowflakes were drawn to represent a calm & tranquil mood.
  • The girl staring out the window, represents the loneliness & longing to be part of the outside world.
 AND...



The next drawing reflects a war between two people : THE ARMY/SOLDIERS vs. Tribal Members. The color red is used to portray Blood Loss & Despair.  

WHILE....
  • The SUNRISE between the valleys represents HOPE & A NEW LIFE.  
  • The Green Soldier holding out a flag symbolises Victory in a war.  


 CHALLENGES FACED IN LIFE (by Ryan Lee)



When i am hearing different types of music.....this is what I am thinking about...

The figure standing in the picture (which is dark in color) represents myself.....
I am imagining that I'm on a journey where I am forced to overcome many challenges along the way.....
I look up ahead to face a very long road where I begin to feel anxious. A sense of trepidation creeps in, when I think about the unknown future.....
I hesitated to continue my journey but eventually, i told myself that i have to be optimistic & unafraid to confront the obstacles in my life along the way.....
"I CAN DO THE BEST!!" Is what I always tell myself! !
(a brief summary of my drawing:)

{The two high and big walls beside with the word "START" signifies the beginning of my journey. Besides that, there are also some strange trees and obstacles in life that are represented by the mountain , desert, and a village.}


THE HUMAN SONATA
by Namira

Both of these drawings are based from the instrumental music that Mr Charles played in class. 
Drawing 1 symbolizes somewhat of a dark theme. By listening to the first half of the music that was played, I had pictured the last scenes from the Tim Burton's Edward Scissorhands. It portrays how the main character was feeling at that particular moment, he was in the state of being alone and despair and had no one to turn to. The rain and the tomb shows grief while the thunder shows the character's state of panic. I had also imagined a bit of a Harry Potter vibe while drawing this, thus this is why I drew the castle.

Drawing 1 shows the exact opposite of drawing 2. During the last half of the music, I pictured somewhat of a peaceful sunny day. I visualized myself standing in front of the Eiffel Tower in Paris. The sun represents hope in which drawing 1 lacks. The whole scene is uplifting and the flowers are 'dancing' because of it.


Magical :) & ): Despair (by Shereene)

This picture consist of two themes : Magic and Despair.


Firstly, there is a guy which is the nutcracker, a girl which is the princess and a creature on top which is a fairy. The three of them are walking on a magical journey together towards the castle. 


Secondly, along the road there are thorns which symbolizes the danger of the outside world. Also, there are some carcasses in the drawing that depicts the despair of the world.



IN SHORT: What i want to say is that, when a part of the world is having the best times of their lives, another part of the world is having the most horrendous times of their lives. So, let's be grateful always for the laughter & smiles we share with our loved ones everyday!! (: 

No comments:

Post a Comment